Saturday, July 16, 2011

Would like advice from professional dog trainer on 9 week old puppy!?

Ok so Im not a professional but I am in the same position as you, I recently got a 9 week old chocolate lab. I do know tons about dogs and I am looking to get involved with animals in the future. First off, Just so you know, female dogs do tend to be more independent than males, so it is possible that she is just stubborn. In that case you are going to have to experiment and see what gets her attention, I have just started "clicker" training my puppy, and I think it will work great after we repeat the training every day. I find that if you try to walk faster they will stop getting distracted by leaves and such on the walk. Also keep the leash pulled firmly so that the puppy stays by your side instead of wondering around, but not too tight! Now the last issue... when she tries to bite you, this may sound bad but I know of a lot of people who do this, and I have done it to my puppy, you need to make sure she knows that you are the boss by biting her on the ear. I know its sounds bad but it really does work. My puppy had the same problem where she was biting my hands and my legs and after I did that she knows when shes too rough. I bit her on the ear just hard enough to where she squeaked a little but then I stopped. In a way you need to "give her a taste of her own medicine" ha ha, and make sure she understands why you are doing that, tell her "No Bite!" and use that as your word to make her stop, be consistant! I hope it works out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment